Wild News - Voice Of The Garden Route, Garden Route - South Africa. Contact us for news, editorial and advertising. t: +27(0)448821046 Always include alternate text for search engines and sight impaired visitors to your site
Wild News - Voice Of The Garden Route, South Africa.
News | Details
 Worldwide | Sport News : 

Wild News Wild News

CONTACT DETAILS
Wild News 
Wild News

Cell:+27 (0) 84 446 3422
Tel: +27 (0) 44 882 1046

Email Enquiry:
wild@wildnews.co.za

And the bid goes to ......

The South African Rugby Union said in a statement that they are devastated by the outcome of the deciding vote by the World Rugby Council in which France was announced as the 2023 Rugby World Cup host.

President of SA Rugby, Mark Alexander said: “We are bitterly disappointed at this decision and would like to apologise to the people and government of South Africa for raising their hopes.”

“We did everything in our power to bring the tournament to South Africa and we expected to have that right confirmed today."

“We produced a compelling bid document that earned the unanimous recommendation of the Rugby World Cup Ltd board. That recommendation was questioned last week by rivals but endorsed a second time by World Rugby last week."

“However, the view of the experts and World Rugby’s leadership was overturned by World Rugby Council members, who may have had other factors to take into account."

“We cannot hide our desolation but, for the sake of rugby we wish the 2023 tournament hosts every success.”

Jurie Roux, CEO of SA Rugby, ruled out any suggestions that his organisation might challenge the vote.

“We have said throughout that we would honour both the letter and the spirit of the process and we now consider the 2023 bidding process closed.

“However, in the feedback sessions, I am sure we will be recommending to the World Rugby Council that the verdict of the evaluation committee become binding.

“World Rugby ran an exhaustive and transparent process for 15 months to identify the best host nation, only for the process to go entirely opaque for the past two weeks.”

According to Alexander, it is difficult to decide what the next step will be after this, their fourth, failed attempt.

“It will be for the next generation of SA Rugby leaders to decide whether to compete for the 2027 tournament or beyond,” he said. “I am sure our country will fulfil the dream of hosting the tournament once again someday; our hearts bleed that it will not be in 2023.”


ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Available on Request
 
Recent Listing

Recent News
Sport News
Wilderness youngster excels in sailing

Recent Listing

Recent News
Sport News
Traverse gets a new name and venue

Recent Listing

Recent News
Sport News
OCC chalenge on Sunday 18 February 2018

Recent Listing

Recent News
Sport News
And the bid goes to ......